Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Cotton Puzzle Piece.

I wrote this for my creative writing class & it was a very special piece. I thought I'd share it. 

My mother and her family entered the United States when she was 9 years old. Growing up, I loved to hear her talk about Cuba—the things my grandmother did to provide for her four children after grandfather leaving Cuba before the rest of the family, in order to earn money to bring them over too.

But without my birth certificate I would question whether or not I really belonged to them. As the puzzle of my family united during holidays and long weekends, I struggled to find where my piece fit. I wasn’t like my cousins. I was shaped differently. Although I resembled my mom’s coloring, I didn’t acquire her physique. As far as I could tell, I hadn't acquired anyone’s. I am quite a bit shorter. I had dangly chicken legs and you could see my ribs when I lay down. I was not malnourished; I ate my full plate of rice and beans like the rest of them. It didn’t seem right. I would lay in bed some nights wondering if there was a secret aunt nobody knew about, one that I turned out like. I couldn't understand why they would hide her and wondered if eventually they would start hiding me too. When two new cousins were born into the family, I finally thought I would have someone smaller then myself, I thought maybe they’d turn out looking like me. It didn’t take them long to surpass me and once again, I was the smallest cousin.

My freshman year of college my mother and I went to visit my grandmother, Mima, for her birthday in Greenville, South Carolina. My aunt and cousin met us there. We spent the weekend together, just the girls. Saturday night, we ordered New York style pizza, my grandmother’s favorite. Sunday morning, after my aunt and cousin left early, mother was cleaning, as she often does when visiting Mima, and I was upstairs in my grandmother’s bedroom. My grandmother loves holding on to all the things everyone else throws away; old dresses, cards, pictures, and notes. This particular Sunday she pulled out two old dresses from a box in her closet. She stretched them out on the bed in front of me as if she had set the Mona Lisa before me. I could tell she found these dresses to be beautiful. Then she began to tell me why. They were her mother’s. I had never had the chance of meeting her mother. She passed away at 50, long ago in Cuba. I had heard about her beautiful green eyes and dark hair. She was an illusion to me, an old story.

I traced my fingers along the edge of the olive green cotton, noticing the faded areas. It was fragile and resembled a rag but my grandmother had held on to it for years, as if the thread woven into it were gold. That was how she felt about Cuba, when she talked about her life there her eyes would glisten. Whenever she talked about her mother, she wouldn't hold one shred of emotion back. Although my grandfather urged her to leave Cuba, Mima refused to leave her mother’s side. It wasn't until after her mother had passed away that she finally made the decision to come.  Listening to my grandmother’s stories gives the impression that she was never the child, but always took care of those around her. As time goes on and her eye sight fades, she has a harder time brushing all the crumbs off her shirt but her mind is as sharp as ever, and to me, she is beautiful. She is like her mother’s dress; worn, fragile, but gold.

The dress looked like it could belong to me and I wanted to feel if it were true. I delicately unfastened the green plastic buttons, noticing the fabric’s tiny yellow flowers surrounded with ivy. I carefully slipped the dress over my head, felt it slide down against my body, and suddenly my piece of the puzzle made sense. The dresses in Cuba were tailored for one body; they weren't purchased in a store. Each measurement was designed uniquely. This dress was measured and brought together to fit my great-grandmother, the cuffs of the sleeves, the collar, and the waist. I looked at my grandmother and she recognized it. I could tell and I was proud. The dress was made for me too. My great grandmother was no longer an illusion, a story, she had become real. She was the missing link, the tie I had longed for in my family. It fit, I fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment