I was talking with some friends the other day about how much I love cuddling. I shared the sweet memory of my father waking up early on Sunday mornings and coming to my bedroom, picking me up, and carrying me to my parents' bed. My mom and I both love sleeping in on Sunday mornings, he doesn't. It was such a normal part of my weekly schedule that I hadn't realized how special it was until I shared it with my friends years later and they exclaimed it's sweetness. It started me thinking about what other parts of my life I hadn't noticed because it was so normal that my father had done.
Here are just a few:
He would make me mash potatoes and form them into a mountain, sticking broccoli into the sides like little trees.
He would take me out to eat on father/daughter dates, starting when I was only 4 years-old, assuring me that nobody would think we were on a real date when I was afraid to enter the restaraunt.
He drove me to Clearwater, Florida from Charleston, South Carolina and took time off of work to see a special doctor when I was sick.
He got us a pet bunny when mom as away on a trip.
He insisted that we keep learning & practicing Spanish.
He bought/buys my mom special "Happy Sabbath" flowers every once in awhile.
In the summer he'd take us to the library on weekly basis so we could borrow and browse the books.
He planted my favorite tree in the yard, a cherry blossom willow, and my favorite flowers.
He made us a tree swing in our Blythewood, South Carolina house because he knew how much I love to swing.
He took us camping.
He took care of us when we were sick, cleaned up our vomit, etc.
He asks me about my relationship with God.
He drew a picture of my goldfish for me when it grew too big for my tank and we had to take it to a friend's pond.
He cared if I was okay with us moving to a new place when I was only 7 years old.
He let me put a pink roxy sticker on the back of his truck and drove around with it there, proudly.
He played board games with us and built sand castles when we went to the beach.
He drove me across the country to make sure where I was living would be a safe place and help me move in when I moved to Walla Walla, WA for a task force job.
He'd let us bury him in the sand when we were at the beach.
He calls me even though I am far away in Washington State on a weekly basis to see how I am doing.
He baptized me.
This is a very short list of the things my father does and has done. I wish it hadn't taken me this long to recognize them. He is far beyond what a father has to be.
Thanks, Daddy. I am so blessed! Love you tons!
Happy Father's Day!



No comments:
Post a Comment